Did you know that tomorrow is Take Your Dog To Work Day®? At Dognition, there is a sure method to having a good morning: we bring our dogs to work.
Employees are much more energetic and productive when the office dogs, Dexter, Cooper, and Sisu are in the building, proving again that a dog is man’s best friend. Being welcomed by a dog is a great start to the day, not only are they an instant mood booster, but several studies in the past few years have examined the numerous rewards of pet ownership.
With Take Your Dog To Work Day happening tomorrow, let’s take a look at the many benefits of having dogs in the office. Pet Sitters International created the event to promote the great companions dogs make and to encourage their adoptions. We couldn’t agree more, and if you had any doubt about why your dog makes the best work companion, check out these great reasons below.
Here are five ways having dogs in the workplace helps improve health and productivity:
1. Reducing Stress – Numerous studies have found the presence of dogs at work reduced employees’ stress levels. When tensions rise in the workplace, having dogs around can boost morale and contribute to a happier work environment. They also reduce blood pressure and help cardiovascular health. Even the U.S. Capitol testifies of the benefits of having dogs around a high pressure environment.
2. Increasing Productivity – Our ability to focus on a task for a prolonged period is greatly increased if we take regular breaks. Studies found those who didn’t take a break had a rapid decrease in performance as time passed, whereas those who took breaks had no decline in performance over time. Dogs provide the perfect diversion, whether that be a quick walk or just stopping to play with them. An added benefit is petting your dog for 15 minutes has been found to increase oxytocin levels in both you and your dog.
3. Improving Customer Impressions – Companies that had a pet friendly policy reported having a friendlier environment. Not only did this improve the relations between staff, but customers had a more positive impression of the company. The mood boosting benefits of dogs can help increase revenue by keeping customers happy.
4. Increase Employee Bonds – A study by Central Michigan University ran an experiment on the effect of a dog on teamwork situations. They found that colleagues who had a dog in the room with them rated their other colleagues higher in terms of team cohesion, trust, and intimacy. The success of a business depends somewhat on employee relations, and having a dog at work can bolster these.
5. Improving Workplace Creativity – 55 million Americans believe having pets in the workplace results in a more creative environment. When you feel the 3pm slump taking over, having a dog around can provide the creative energy to keep you inspired.
Although the benefits of having a dog in the workplace are plentiful, not everyone may want a dog around all the time. Take Your Dog To Work Day is the perfect way to gently show the benefits of dogs in the workplace. John Grogan, the author of Marley and Me, summed up what we can learn from dogs as he reflected on his own Labrador: “Marley taught me about living each day with unbridled exuberance and joy, about seizing the moment and following your heart. He taught me to appreciate the simple things – a walk in the woods, a fresh snowfall, a nap in a shaft of winter sunlight. And as he grew old and achy, he taught me about optimism in the face of adversity. Mostly, he taught me about friendship and selflessness and, above all else, unwavering loyalty.”
At Dognition, we’re lucky that we’re free to bring our dogs to work any day that we’d like. We believe bringing our dogs to work brightens the atmosphere, bonds us together, and encourages our creativity. Will you be taking your dog to work on Take Your Dog to Work Day? Leave us a comment on our Facebook page and let us know!